The Toronto Beaches Children’s & Youth Chorus aims to promote the love of singing and the joy of drama in children and youth. We are committed to pursuing the highest standards both chorally and dramatically in an inclusive, supportive and welcoming community; to provide opportunities for creativity, performance and personal growth.
The Toronto Beaches Children’s Chorus was founded in 2006 by artistic director Bronwen Low-Scott.
The choir provides both vocal and dramatic training, in a fun and supportive environment. The children learn a variety of music from all different genres, and enjoy bi-weekly drama classes with actor & teacher Joanne Mitchell. Jessica Riley, Cindy Kosa, Michael Gomiega and Adolfo De Santis round off the artistic staff. Catherine Morfitt is our invaluable general assistant.
The Choir has five levels of instruction and a newly formed Competition Choir!
Visit the JOIN US page more information about auditions and joining the choir.
Piccolo Choir (Jk & Sk)
The Piccolo Choir for children in Jk & Sk. The Piccolo Choir is a non-auditioned choir for young children who love to sing, move & make believe. We work on finding the children’s singing voices and head voices through song and game. The children start to use beat and rhythm and get to explore and move with regular drama sessions.
- Piccolo classes: Wednesdays 4:30 – 5:10 OR Thursdays 4:15 – 4:55
- Piccolo tuition: Varies by session. Sing into Summer Concert, June 6, 2020 at 3 p.m-Cancelled due to Covid-19.
- Fall programming for 2020 will either be in small groups if permitted or live online. Stay tuned.
Registration is on a first come, first serve basis.
Prelude Choir (Grades 1 & 2)
The Prelude choir, for kids in grades 1 & 2, continues to develop proper use of the head voice, beautiful unison singing and simple rounds through song, movement and drama. The children are also involved in the Spring Musical every year.
- Prelude rehearsals: Wednesdays 5:00 – 5:45 or Thursdays 4:45 – 5:30.
- Prelude tuition: $445.00 for the 2019/2020 season.
***The oldest three groups learn the basics of music theory, appropriate to their division, during rehearsals.***
Cantabile Chorus (Grades 3-5)
The Cantabile Chorus is for kids in grades 3 & 4. This division is our intermediate division. They continue to work on producing a healthy sound and work in two parts gaining more experience with ensemble singing. The second half of the year is dedicated to an end of the year staged production.
- Cantabile rehearsals: Thursdays 5:00-6:15. Cantabile may move to Wednesdays in the fall. Stay tuned.
- Cantabile tuition: $595.00 for the 2019/2020 season.
Chamber & Youth Choirs (Grade 5-6 Chamber, grade 7 and up Youth)
The Chamber choir is for children in grades 5-6 and the Youth Choir is for children in grade 7 and above . Both divisions are dedicated to kids who love singing and drama and want to continue their love of music at a higher level. They are also involved in a staged production in the Spring.*
*Our Youth members can choose to sing in just the choral stream or they can choose to also participate in the musical which starts rehearsing in January. The Youth Choir will performs a separate musical from the younger divisions.
- Chamber Choir (grades 5 & 6) rehearsals: Thursdays 6:30-8:00.
- Chamber Choir tuition: $695.00 for the year
- Youth Choir (grades 7 & above) rehearsals: Thursdays 7:00-8:30
- Youth Choir tuition: $750.00 for the year
- Youth Choir without the musical: $610 for the year
- Times for both groups may be altered for Fall 2020.
There are partial Bursaries available for all divisions.
Summer Camp | August 17 – August 21, 2020***CANCELLED DUE TO COVID-19***
Regretfully, we have decided to cancel TBCYC Summer Camp this year. Kingston Road United Church is no longer open over the summer for rentals due to COVID-19, and without a venue, we have nowhere to operate. We will be putting our energy into developing fall programming and hope to see you all then!